Thursday, January 19, 2006

2 minus in self-control, 6:11am, and a "new" PR

So I've always had a little problem with self-control.

Like, since I was born.

My mom loves to tell the story of how, in elementary school, my report card would have straight "1's" (they gave numbers, not letters, when we were little, 1 (good) to 3 (not so good)--who knows why)--my cursive was perfect, my math facts were great, and I could read above grade level. The only 2 (and sometimes 2-) was in "self-control." So I'd take my report card home and then proceed to get all mad, cry, and turn red in the face about why I didn't understand why I HAD A 2 IN SELF CONTROL!!! WHAT IS SELF-CONTROL???? BUT I KNOW ALL MY MATH FACTS!!! ARRGGGGGGGGGGGJAKSDFLJSAKDLFJ!!!!

Hence, my mom would try not to laugh hysterically and say, "Well, Sara, apparantly your teacher knows you pretty well."

Okay, so I've been working on that. For like 20 years.

So today when I arrived at the pool at 5:45 to hit it hard before I had to be at school for an 8am parent meeting, I was *slightly* annoyed when it was not open. There was a line of us waiting. The 2 guys in front of me were joking and making small talk, which is great. But as each minute ticked by, my self-control started to head into the 2- range. I finally asked the front desk what was up.

The lifeguard slept in.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

So at 6:11 the pool FINALLY opened!!! Arg. So much for my 3000 yard workout. I was going to have to cut things short. Grrrrr. Could feel the frustration mounting.

So I jumped in, and cut my warm up and cool down short, with the intention of focusing on what I know I really need--some technique, drills, and stroke work. I tried to do what the sharks from the swim meet Friday did--keep my butt outta the water. It was a lot harder than I expected! I also focused on low stroke count and trying to glide and get a good catch in the water. These are things I read in my book last night, The Woman Triathlete in the swimming chapter by Barb Lindquist. I figure she probably knows what she's talking about. :) So I did some of those drills and got my stroke count even lower, which was good.

Then I started 6X200 with a negative split. Oooh. Tough. Still feeling the burn from the weights. I really focused on form for the first 5 and then figured I'd see if I just did the 6th "naturally," if my form would have improved.

Wouldn't ya know it--I PR'd by 9 seconds. (I don't count anything I swam before 1992 into my PRs) On my last one. Without a dive in start or anything.

How 'bout that.

Perhaps I am learning to channel my frustration in a positive way.

It only took me 28 years. :)

15 comments:

Cliff said...

I wish they just leave the pool opened 24/7 and we can use it anytime we want.

Too bad they can't do that. I do understand the importance of having a life guard (in case i drink too much chlorine).

The pool where I live, they never open until 6:30 am. Whenever I go that early, I am always fighting with grannys and grandpas....maybe that's part of self control i have ot learn (that and drink less chlorine).

Chris said...

Haha! I had *exactly* the same thing on my kindergarten report cards - high marks all around but low marks for self control. I totally didn't understand what it meant, either. I mean, I had full control of my arms, legs, and body. When I wanted them to move, they'd move! :)

Congrats on your PR!

Chad said...

"I don't count anything I swam before 1992 into my PRs."

I can relate. I have pre-30 and post-30 PRs. For some reason I still think I can break the pre-30 PRs. I guess that's what keeps me going.

tryathlete said...

Congratulations on the PR. Well done.

walchka said...

Congrats on your PR. Way to grind it out even with the lingering effects from your lifting. Nice job!

Ellie Hamilton said...

WoooHOOOO! Great workout after all. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Nice job on the PR, Sara!

Rice said...

One, two or three.. I'm just glad they stopped at three.

Cheers.

Rice

Kewl Nitrox said...

What a great way to get a PR - sticking to your guns and getting the workout done despite time pressures, frustration, etc. You go!

tri-mama said...

Ok, now I'm feeling inspired to swim tomorrow. Enjoyed this first visit to your blog, in particular the post about why you are doing IMMoo. I find it interesting to know what goes on in other people's minds-but I especially liked the tribute the the women who went before us and the ones who aren't allowed to follow after us-great perspective. I'll be cheering you on in Madison as a volunteer-so train hard and have fun.

Scott said...

You must get "it" if you're posting the theme song from Rent. The show/movie says (at least according to me who knows shit most of the time..) so much...

La Vie Boheme!

Eric said...

Good job on your short swim. I watched you before I started and you were looking sleek. Check out my view on Thursdays swim.

Tracy said...

Way to go chica!! Here we go, huh!?

Okolo said...

Hey, not counting PRs before a certain date, I like that idea.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

LOL! The whole self-control thing totally cracked me up!

And loved the Rent song - I'm a total showtunes geek.