Thursday, January 05, 2006

Perspective

Well, I got a good night's sleep last night--missed one hell of a National Championship game from what I understand, but got a great night's sleep. Besides, the only game that mattered to me was the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Monday when the BUCKEYES BEAT THE IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) But I digress.

Woke up and had a great swim--good and solid. I think I may have to accept the fact that I'm just not a fast distance swimmer. 8 years of sprinting the 50 freestyle is great but it really doesn't do much for your 2.4 mile time, ya know? Sigh....

Got to school and got a few emails from my college buddies. One, in Chicago, lost her grandfather at Thanksgiving, her aunt has recently been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemo, and her father had a heart attack last night. I called her as soon as I could on my lunch break. My heart just goes out to her--I can't even imagine.

My other college friend just made the difficult decision to sever ties to a boyfriend of 6 years...yes, 6 years...because she knew it wasn't right and he wasn't treating her like he should. She's been in the process of breaking up/trying to fix the situation for about a year, and I know how hard this must be on her. She just got an apartment, so I know she means it this time. My heart goes out to her, too.

Then at work one of my friends today had emergency appendicitis surgury and it was not going as easily as planned. She'll be OK, but I know she's in a lot of pain now.

All these things made me feel very grateful for what I have and for my friendships with each of these people. I hope I can support them through these things....it kind of puts things in perspective, you know?

I can't think of anything better to do now except go for a nice hour long run and then do some yoga tonight. After that I'm going to write my buddies a nice card and send some flowers their way. It sort of makes my problems seem very pale in comparison.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

I don't know about yoga, it makes me in tears...oh the pain...

Your friends are very fortunate to have you as a support.

Anonymous said...

Your friends are exceptionally lucky to have you - very thoughtful... And it's the strangest thing - an old female friend of mine just wrote to tell me she was breaking up with her boyfriend of 6 years, whom she also just got an apartment with.

Makes you wonder.

Sport related comment: your swim times are probably stellar to those of us who don't come from a swim background ;-) Every female swimmer I know is (a) Modest and (b) SUPER-Fast.

Tracy said...

You guys got LUCKY. Speaking of course for the Irish out here ;)

You are an awesome friend, btw. Very cool of you to be there like that.