Saturday, April 29, 2006

check yo' ego at the door, foo'.

Oooooooo-----K.

So I just got back a bit ago from a very humbling brick workout.

Apparently I'm, um, not quite as recovered from my Grand Canyon pain as I thought.

Remember 2 weeks ago to the day I was all pumped because (relatively speaking of course) I kicked some booty on my 51 mile ride at 17.8 mph?

Yeah. Um, today I got my booty kicked.

Total time 3:13, 52.5 miles, 16.5mph.

That blows. Oh well. Guess it's about time to get a little kick in the pants, anyway.

I did the first hour and a half by myself and then met up with a CTC'er. I shall call him, Swimmer Mark. Why is he Swimmer Mark? Because he's the FREAKING COACH of the Oberlin College Swim team!!!

So, he's, uh, probably pretty good.

And, his event was the 200 butterfly and the 400IM!!!

I'm pretty sure that if hell has a pool, and I was somehow there, I'd have to do the 400IM for eternity at a negative split. I can't think of a harder event. HOLY RESPECT, man.

So I felt really bad that I told the poor guy I could average between 17-18 and then I pooped out like that! I just had NUTHIN' in these legs. I told him to take off and he was very nice to stay with me as long as he did. Then he took off at the end and finished strong.

Then, we did a 40 minute run. Well, I should say I did a 40 minute run at one pace and he did a 40 minute run at my pace until I turned around, then he surged forward for a while, turned around, and caught up to me, and we finished.

TriSaraTops = humbled. :)

I think it is good to train with people that are much better than you sometimes, though...it kind of makes you strive to be better. For me though this can be a problem as I occasionally refuse to admit if I'm feeling like the pace is too fast...he asked me how the run felt during the first mile. Here's how it went:

Me: "Well...hmm..I think this might be a little bit fast (glanced at my HRM), and my, uh, heart rate's a little bit high."

Swimmer Mark: "What's it at?"

Me: "179..."

SCREECH!!! We both laughed as we BACKED off the pace. Oops.

But, again, the great thing about tri is that everyone is so supportive of each other's goals. I slowed down, and he still got to get in a great tempo run, while we finished together. He's doing IM MOO, too...so add another one to the list of my Cleveland Buddies doing this thing! So far it's me, qcmier, Swimmer Mark, Iron Johnny, and there's a few others that I have only met once or twice. Looking forward to many more bricks with these cool peeps this summer!

Just not at a heart rate of 179. ;)

And now to enjoy the rest of this sunny and beautiful day--onto a shower, a cuppa joe, and then our buddies Trevor and Tina are coming into town for Grady Sizemore bobblehead night! Awwwwww yeah. Go Tribe!!!!!

9 comments:

Habeela said...

If it makes you feel better. The person I did my ride with today was all about strolling through the park so my avg speed ended up being 11.2 mi/hr! Yeah. Yours was definitely better! :)

E-Speed said...

Awesome job girl. You did great. CTC women are kicking arse. Now we just need to tale down Matt, geeze he's a maniac!

qcmier said...

Hey don't worry too much about your pace. We all have days when we feel crappy.

You still got in a great workout.

Chris said...

"You had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day"

You'll have better (and worse) ones throughout the summer. No worries. :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

That's what I luv about Tris. You never know when it will put you on your bum. It's what keeps us honest. :)

greyhound said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and the encouraging words. I love endurance sports because the great mass of us compete against ourselve and train with one another.

Your experience sounds like me last week. After the MS150, my HR would spike just thinking about exercise, let alone doing it.

tri-mama said...

ok, let me just start out by saying BOOOOOOOO Tribe BOOOOOOO. The Twins are hapless this year, but oh to be beat by the Tribe-blahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok, badsportsmanship is over now. Hope you liked your bobblehead.

You'll take that ride next time-you got it.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Your bad days are way better than my good days...I have all the respect in the world for you!! Keep at it!

Unknown said...

Funny. A co-worker and I were talking about ego this morning. I'm definitely feeling the "downer" to not performing up to my expectations of late. But I've decided not to let it get me down. You're dedicated and you're going to rock the house at your IM...so forget this one run and just look forward to the next hundred or so!