Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Went Back to the Pool-O

That title's a reference to a Pretenders song.

Sorry. It's all I could think of.

Anyway, today I went to the Y to swim....all my swimming buddies from last year (Noodle Lady, Navy Guy, etc) were absent, and that was a real bummer. So, I thought I'd just splash around a bit and see how things went.

I did a measly 2000 yards...which totally violates my "It's-not-worth-getting-wet-for-less-than-3000-yards" rule, but I'm finding that most of my old rules are being broken on a regular basis now. And you know what? I'm starting to be OK with that.

I could definitely tell I was out of practice, and felt like the best I could do at holding a semi-decent pace was to do sets of 200s. So I did 200 pull, 200 swim, 10 times. Not the most exciting workout ever, but hey, it worked.

And I totally raced the dude next to me in my second-to-last set, but he didn't know it. I caught him pretty early on and then was able to still bury the hatchet. So I've still semi-got-game.

Okay, maybe just a teensy, tiny bit of game. But we'll take it.

Then I had my guest speakers come to school today, which is always awesome. A WWII-vet who was shot down by the Germans and held in a POW camp for 22 months, and then two Japanese-Americans who were interned during WWII when they were kids. Very different perspectives and all pieces to a very large puzzle of a story. I'm glad I have the opportunity to bring such amazing people into my classroom.

So I'm feelin' pretty good....it was 75 degrees and sunny here....Opening Day is in T minus 10 Days, the Buckeyes are in the Final Four (but I think I may have to root for Georgetown since I do have a transcript there...so torn....), and life is pretty much rockin' right now.

A certain friend of mine has a pretty big birthday coming up on Thursday, too. Hee hee! The secret's out. :)

Lots of reasons to celebrate around here!

19 comments:

Audrey said...

yes, feel free to root for g-town!!

and by my calculations i think i swim just under a mile every time i hit the pool-o.... :) maybe that will be MY goal, one mile or bust!

Wes said...

Did you wear your wet suit and helmet in the pool today? ;-) So, somebody has a birthday, eh? Hmmmmm. I get to try my second straight 400 meters in the pool tomorrow :-) measly 2000 yards. Hmmmpph. Ironpeople!

Charlie said...

I have been restricted lately to 2k until my teacher says go ahead and do more.
I saw my Opening Day schedule today. I am off at 4pm. Gotta find a ticket.
If you go, stop by Rocco's before the game starts.

TriShannon said...

Oh... you've definitely got game!!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

A measly 2000 yards...I cannot imagine feeling like that. Way to get back in the pool! Oh, and cool video in the previous post.

TRI Vortex said...

"Celebrate good times, come on!" Ya, so far I haven't even met your old rule. Still sounds like a good swim. My favorite part of a nice long swim is seeing other people come and go, and your still going strong. I smile to myself underwater.

Unknown said...

We've been missing you since you've become a once a week blogger. But we still love ya. Would a snazzy new blog header make you want to post more. I admit it...I'm shameless when I'm trying to collect for charitable foundations!

As a history major, and all around history love, I applaud you for making it real for your students and applaud again because you make sure they see the numerous sides to history, even though the books sometimes fail to detail it "all".

TJ said...

it's very cool that your students got to hear from the guest speakers. i'm sure they had very interesting things to say.
If I used your "It's-not-worth-getting-wet-for-less-than-3000-yards" rule.....I'd stay dry most of the time. :) You gots a whole bunch o game.

Andy said...

Definately can relate to the days when you don't think the workout is complete without an "iron" class workout...

Murtha...

E-Speed said...

Miss you! Hope everythng is going great with you!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I thought I was doing good with my 'not worth getting wet for under 1000 yards' rule. 3000?! Oh my. I've never even swam that far yet...

Joe said...

> And I totally raced the dude next
> to me in my second-to-last set

That's the spirit! Swim practice is so much more fun when you have someone to race against, isn't it?

Dances with Corgis said...

Awesome. :) I always "race" people in the pool without them knowing it as well. heehee

Meredith said...

I believe the correct answer is, Go Bucks!!!

Unknown said...

Hey girlie. Can't wait to see the new posts. And I'd love to do a redesign for you!

E-mail me at enduroeejit at gmail.com

Heart'cha!

Papa Louie said...

I would love to come and sit in on the class to hear those great stories from great heroes.

Jennifer P said...

Um, do you have a secret you need to share....and it's not about your swim workouts.....

Robin said...

Wow, can I come to your class? Your speakers sound wonderful.

And hey, it's always worth it to get in the pool, I'm glad you got your yards in!

Fe-lady said...

Oh yeah, sing it Chrissy! After all-she IS an Ohio girl and one of the best female rock-and-roll singers of all time!
Measley 2000? Man, that's about what I do each time...and it's about ALL I can do after work.
I will up the mileage come next month for the Sharkfest...'cause you told me I'd better...I guess.