Thursday, October 16, 2008

Laying it all out there

It's quiet now, and Bug's asleep.

It's been quite a challenging week, and an emotional one at that. I haven't really even had time to think about the race, and maybe that's a good thing. There's been no obsessing, no freaking out, and I forgot to mention it to most of my students. A few of them remembered from a week or two ago when I let it slip, but other than that, my day ended quietly in an empty classroom like it usually does. Tomorrow it will just be me in my room for a scheduled work day, which I love. Time to actually plan, make some calls, look up interesting lessons, and do all the other things I never get to do in a jam-packed school day.

So it's Thursday night, and I have about 2 more days until the big day. I've never felt more ready, but the events of this past weekend have definitely taken my mind off the race. I think it's time maybe I started thinking about it.

Hmmmm.

So I have done 2 "stand alone marathons." One, in 2002. Trained alone, 30 pounds heavier than I am now, and just happy to finish. Finishing time 5:14.

Then, me and my partner in crime, Canada Jenn, did the Flying Pig in 2005. Trained with Second Sole and my awesome buddies there. Actually had a clue. Lost the poundage. Ran a 4:18.

This race, I'm setting the goal at 3:59.59. Things went so well during training, that I thought about lowering the bar even more. But I don't want to get too ahead of myself...18 minutes is a lot to chop off, and a BQ is still too far away, so I think sub-4 is a good goal for right now.

The plan is to run with Pacer Catherine of the Clif Bar Pace Team (who just so happens to be an IMW Veteran as of this year) for the first half. Then, pick it up just slightly if I can, or stay to her like glue if I cannot.

So that's the plan.

Weather looks good so far, but this is me we're talking about and I get rained on in pretty much every race I do, so I'd better not speak too soon. I do not do well in heat, and I think I'm out of the woods for that at least.

The events of the past week have been sort of a punch in the face of perspective, so I really am rather calm and collected at the moment. In the scheme of things, really....this is just a race. I'm going to do my best, do what I know I can, and enjoy the day and the finish with my buddies and Matt and the Bug.

So, there you have it. Not the usual intense pre-race situmatation that I usually find myself in. But, regardless, I just kind of have a good feeling about this. And I just kind of feel like I'm going to do it.

So that's what I'm going to do. For those who want to play along, I'm number 4025, and you can probably track me somehow here.

See you on the other side of the finish line.

23 comments:

Maggs said...

Good luck out there! Hope you have a great race and get that sub 4~!

Anonymous said...

hey - just run with love. and have a blast...

Pharmie said...

You'll be great. Never ever forget that no matter what happens, it's a gift to be out there at all. I have no doubt, though that you'll shatter that old PR, just like you always do!

RunBubbaRun said...

Good luck an have fun out there. I'm sure you will do great.

Anonymous said...

Good luck for the race - use your emotions to race as well as you can. It's amazing what you can do when you have someone else to do it for! GO GET EM

jbmmommy said...

Enjoy the day. You've clearly worked to put yourself in the position to meet your goals, hope it goes well.

Tracy said...

You're going to surprise even yourself sis, go get it!!

Mike said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! Great temp for running this weekend, like you said lay it all out there! Leave it on the course and push! As much craziness as I have in my life I've learned to draw energy from it! It works and pushes me harder, farther and faster than I ever was in my younger years! You have a lot of people pulling for you, sub-4 here you come! Good luck and God Speed!

Dave said...

Good luck! My wife is running Columbus too, so I'll cheer for you if I see 4025 come by. :)

JenC said...

Good luck and most of all, have fun! This is just the icing on your training cake! (or something along those lines)

Ms. R said...

Have fun - you are going to have an amazing race! The only thing you can control on race day is your attitude.

Janet Edwards said...

Best of luck ole roomie! Feel free to call me to brag! You got it girl!

walchka said...

Good Luck! Sub 4, no problem for the likes of you. :)

Tiggs said...

Good luck!! Go sub-4!!!

Dan D. said...

Best of luck in Columbus! Just have fun and run your race. Everything else will take of itself. I'm running Sunday too and I see at least two new PR's! Keep an eye out for 877.

allanjel said...

Go Get 'em!!! You will be great just like at Cleveland...I know it!!

Michelle said...

go get it, sara! my crystal ball says things are going to go extremely well!

Charlie said...

Have a great race.

Michelle said...

YOU DID IT!!!

Charlie said...

Good Job on the even split.
Congrats!

Pharmie said...

Had to look you up before I head out on my bike ride. Great job out there! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Michelle said...

Whooohoooo...GREAT Time. I can't wait to hear about the race!

Dave said...

Congratulations! Way to go out and hit your goal.