Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Me, Bug, and the Bump

I've been (finally!) getting my energy back, and we've been having some awesome weather (which means, for me--low 70s in the day, sunny, and near 50 at night. perfect.) so I've been taking advantage of this and running with Bug and the Bump after work!

It totally figures that the one he smiles in, my head's cut off. Gah. :)

Yesterday, we went for a three mile run. The pace is quite snail-ish, but it's still fun. Bug looks for "PLANES!" every two seconds and we both drink from a water bottle. The only trouble is that, since my inner thighs are fast approaching the size of metropolitan Akron, running shorts are not really my friend right now. Do you know how NOT fun it is to run while running shorts are creeping up your thighs? Do you know HOW DEJECTING THAT IS? Sigh...

So today, I decided to try a different approach. I wore my Ironman Wisconsin bike shorts since this weekend it will be three years (wow!) since I traveled on those roads. Bug, the Bump and I ran up to the grocery store to pick up a box of whole wheat pasta for a recipe I was trying. And just to keep a sense of humor about my increasing pudgy-ness, I wore this:

I got a few chuckles at the grocery store! You gotta keep your sense of humor, right?

So hopefully I'll continue these runs as long as I can. I'm thinking I might invest in a support band to help with any back pain, since back pain is what pretty much stopped me in my tracks around month 7 last time around.

The Bump's not such a bad running partner, you know?

19 comments:

Cara said...

You look fantastic and healthy and happy! Love the shirt! And yeah, running shorts w/preggo thighs, BOO! I emailed Nicole DeBoom once asking SkirtSports to make a maternity line. Got a response back saying it was something they were looking into. I don't think they have anything yet, but wouldn't that rock if they did? It is impossible to find REAL athletic maternity wear.

Jennifer P said...

I have a pair of Moving Comfort Bermuda length running capris that I love love love and prevents the chub rub rub. I have a mat running skirt that should be here any day now and the inseam is supposed to be longish. I'll let you know.

You look fabulous! And I wish the cheeky shirts (I have one that says Yes I'm Pregnant) came in technical fabric. I'd totally wear it on all of my runs. If I were rich enough to create a mat line I've have a shirt that says "My Fetus hearts Fartleks".

Michelle said...

I have been having the hardest time finding good maternity clothes for running. And anything I have found is crazy expensive - doesn't seem fair. I love that shirt, though : )

I'm almost 6 months along and just got a support belt. I went with this one - http://tinyurl.com/9dlqvc - and it helps so much. If you do decide to go with that particular one, be forewarned that they run very, very small. I'm a size small in everything I'm wearing, but had to get the belt in a Medium.

Oh, and bravo for running while pregnant AND pushing a jogging stroller - it's all I can do to drag my big ole' belly along these days, never mind pushing a toddler in a stroller, too!

Mike said...

That shirt is great!!! I hope all is well and you're getting a chance to relax!!!

JenC said...

If you find a solution, let me know. My Triks running skirt has been good so far, because the waist band is very forgiving, but running shorts feel like they are cutting me in two.

Love the shirt! I need to get one of those!

triguyjt said...

those compression undershirts!!! I always wear one to keep the upper body honest..and shoot..if i ever wore cordoroys I would make enough noise to wake the dead and plus, I would start a fire from the friction.....gheeesh.

i dont hsave your excuse.

Mnowac said...

Oh I love that shirt!!! Let me tell you, even when I am at my "skinniest" my thighs totally rub together. I can't wear running shorts, so I wear capris or tri shorts without padding. Target has some great Champion compression shorts, you might pick up a pair, they help. You look great by the way!

Tamara said...

I LOVE that shirt. Would have saved me lots of tears last week as I disolved into "I look fat not pregnant". Where oh where did you get it??

You look beautiful and healthy. Yay!!

Carolina John said...

haha, that's a great shirt! you're still looking great girl. rock on.

Pharmie said...

Love the shirt! You, the bug, and the bump are so cute.

Simply Married said...

What bump?!?!? You look fantastic! Love the shirt :)

Michelle said...

Sara, you are sooo cute! I love the t-shirt. Take care.

Alili said...

Too cute! I'm looking forward to running with my little man. Of course I'm also looking forward to seeing space between my thighs again too. ;)

X-Country2 said...

You look so great! Such a great role model for those kids. :o)

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

SO JEALOUS! You look amazing! And if I manage to find my way to another bump I've got to find out where you got that shirt : )

greyhound said...

Has it been three years??!! Does not seem possible. But then, Bug was not even a gleam in your eye back then and he's a big boy now.

Kim said...

bug is getting so big!!!! i love your tshirt, that is hilarious!

what about wearing tri shorts? no creeping! although do they have maternity tri shorts?! ;)

Steve Stenzel said...

HA! I love that shirt! You look GREAT!

Jen said...

Sara- you look FANTASTIC! Way to stay on the fitness train during your pregnancy. Always seemed like a good idea, but a few months in and I was off and living the high life! Guess that's why I gained over 1/3rd of my body weight. Keep up the good work!