Saturday, May 12, 2012

Something Else Dawned on Me

So you know what?

I've been doing quite a bit of running, biking, swimming and thinking lately.  And I think I've come to the realization of something.  Again.

I'm a triathlete.

I'm not a runner.

Now, let me get a few things straight, though, before you all pounce on me.  I do like to run.  I love to run, actually.  And I like to do races (as you probably know) and I like to run with people but I don't like getting hurt.  

No, that sucks royally.  I'm literally losing my marbles over here.

And the more I think about it the more I think that tri training in the winter/early spring is NOT, like I have thought the past two years, impossible.  In fact, I think it may be my lifeline.

Because yeah, running is efficient.  It's quick, it's out the door in two seconds with my running shoes on and nothing else (I mean GEAR, people.  Bike, pump, tubes, goggles, etc.  Clothing is ON TOO, pervs.) And even at the height of marathon training, I'm still "only" working out, maybe 8 hours a week.  You know?  Versus the 15-20 hours a week I put in during Ironman training.

Side note:  OH boy.  I just got the shakes there.  Even when I do another Ironman someday, I won't be putting in 20 hours a week again.  A) I don't have that kind of time and B) for what I'm trying to do (finish smiling) I know I don't need all that.

But I digress.

The point is that even at *only* 8 hours a week or so of running, my body can't do it.  Not the type of running I want to do.  I want to go fast.  I want to push my limits.  But given that I pretty much am the poster child for how NOT to recover, that hasn't ended well for me the past two springs.

No, I'm definitely a triathlete.  I need that mix not only mentally but physically.  And I get the greatest joy from putting all three things together.  I just do.  I can't really explain why I enjoy it so much more except that perhaps I have a dose of what I like to call "exercise-induced A.D.D."

I'm kind of REALLY kicking myself for this whole deal, because it will knock me out of a few early season tris (I think).  Unless things change soon, I shouldn't even think about doing the Maumee Bay Olympic.  Sprint, maybe?  But definitely NOT the oly.

But, I think I've learned a lot over the past two years here.  And if the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, well, then, I bought a one-way ticket to Crazytown.

TWICE.

But I'm hopping off this train RIGHT NOW thank you very much.

I anticipate next year's race schedule to look quite a bit different than what I've tried to do the past two seasons.

Change is good.

No comments: