Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Operation Eat Like an Athlete, Take 2

So I'd like to introduce you to my new BFF:

Hey there, hot stuff
I've been wanting a Vitamix forever and ever, and was on the fence for it forever and ever.  Because, let's be honest, it's super expensive.  All that?  For a blender?

Yes.  YES.  All that for a blender and it's worth every penny.

I knew I could get a cheap knockoff with a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath or Beyond or something, but I really felt like if I was going to get a top-notch blender, I really should get the Vitamix.  Because they are a Cleveland-based company, and have been since 1937.  That's pretty awesome.  AND, they were so so so helpful when my APUSH kids were doing their final projects in hopes of making the Cleveland Historical App (free on iTunes! shameless plug) which allowed two of my students to make this pretty awesome video:


So all that, combined with the fact that they had a Mother's Day special bargain AND that I sold my trusty road bike allowed me to take the plunge.

Boy oh boy.  I am having so much fun with this thing.

Here is why you need one:

1.  It's seriously the most well-made machine out there.  And there's a 7-year warranty on EVERYTHING--even a refurbished one, like mine!--so if anything goes wrong, Vitamix will put their money where their mouth is and make it right.

2.  For a busy mommy (or daddy--Matt uses it ALL THE TIME), it's fabulous.  Between playdates and heading to the pool, I can throw stuff in there, blend it all up, and have a healthy smoothie for lunch.  I'm eating TONS of greens now and this little machine makes them delish.

3.  The cookbook alone is worth it!

The cookbook that's designed by the Vitamix team of chefs and nutritionists has HUNDREDS of recipes in it, and I've only scratched the surface but they are awesome.  I've made hummus, pineapple salsa, brownies (using black beans! no joke) and plan on making TONS of soups and stews once it's not 8,951 degrees.  You can even heat the soups in it since the motor is so strong and powerful!

4.  It's super easy to clean.  You know how in your basic $30 blender you can't ever get the gunk out of it and it gets all funk-dy funk?  Yeah, you're not going to get that here.

5.  I am pretty positive there is nothing this thing can't chop and make into a perfectly smooth beverage.  I've tried lots: pineapple cores, frozen strawberries, ice cubes, all kinds of leafy stuff...doesn't matter.  It pulverizes the heck out of pretty much everything.

6.  You can sneak all kinds of stuff into smoothies for ridiculously picky toddlers!  Bug eats anything and everything, so this is just more yummy stuff for him, but for my Bean who won't eat ANYTHING, I know she's at least getting some good greens in there.  I tend to go heavier on the fruit smoothies when I make one for her, but I still sneak in at least some spinach!

Here's a few of my favorite things I like to throw in.  Right now I'm in heaven because my CSA I joined, Fresh Fork Market, is giving me TONS of green stuff to put in there.  Yum!

Basically, whatever fresh stuff I can get my hands on.  And I know you're really jealous of Matt's Star Wars Mug that I got him for Father's Day.

After a particularly long or hard workout, I also like to throw in some greek yogurt or maybe a scoop of protein powder, too.  That will make it a little more filling and also help with recovery.

So if you're in the market for a good blender and you want the best, I'm telling you, this thing is awesome.  I know it's definitely pricey, but so far it's been worth every penny and used at least twice a day in the TST household.

No comments: